Kitchen and Later Attic Fire Hit Centralia HomeA Centralia woman received minor burns to her hands and feet in a fire that caused minor damage to the kitchen of her home during the noon hour on Saturday.
Centralia City Firemen say Jessica Velazquez of 11-03 North Maple had left cooking unattended on the stove. When she returned, the food was on fire. Velazquez tried to put out the fire herself by throwing a blanket on the flames. In the process, she received the minor burns and also cut her feet on broken glass on the floor. Firemen say when they arrived there was just a small fire in the cabinets above the stove. Velazquez was taken to St. Mary's Hospital for treatment of her injuries.
Firemen returned to the home three and a half hours later when a fire broke out in the attic. It is believed the fire above the stove had got into the insulation and burned into the attic. There was heavy smoke and fire coming out a vent on the eastside of the home when firemen arrived at 4:50 Saturday afternoon. They were able to quickly knock down the fire before it spread out of the attic.
Damage to the home is estimated at $3,000. The home is owned by Maudie Peterson.
Centralia Police arrested Velazquez' boyfriend when he arrived on the scene. 35-year-old Rodney Fulk of North Maple Street in Centralia remained in the Marion County Jail Sunday morning on an outstanding Effingham County misdemeanor warrant.
See other LocalNews news:Minor League and Tavie Tots Celebrate Joining the Two Downtown Salem Businesses
Illinois House Moves to Block Contentious Pay Raise for Lawmakers
Rauner Signs Expanded Eligibility Law for Food Stamps Users
New Dollar General Store Construction in Centralia Sees Progress
Lake Centralia Resident Requests Clean Water Testing from City Manager