WJBD Radio

Images

Now Playing

Local News

WJBD - Local News - Stovetop Fire Causes Serious Damage to Salem Home

Fire crews work to extinguish the House Fire on Shelby Street in Salem.

Stovetop Fire Causes Serious Damage to Salem Home

By Bruce Kropp, WJBD News

A Salem home was damaged by fire Monday morning.  Salem Firefighters were called to the home of Patsy Suddeth and her nephew Lonnie Shell at 519 North Shelby when smoke was seen coming from the house.   Fire Marshall Bill Fulton says they got a quick knockdown.  

"From what I understand , when we got there we saw smoke from the exterior. We got a quick knockdown from a fire in the kitchen. It appears to have been a pan on the stove with grease that set the wall on fire and got into the cabinet" Fulton said.

Fulton says firemen initially feared someone was inside the home because a radio or TV could be heard.  However, a search of the home confirmed no one was home.  Even though firefighters knocked down the fire quickly, they took considerable time to make sure the fire had not spread further through the walls undetected.   Odin Firemen responded with automatic mutual aide.  There were no injuries or problems in fighting the fire.  The fire call came in around 9:50 Monday morning. 

See other LocalNews news:

Indiana Man Trapped In Pickup Truck Following Crash on I-57 Near Kinoka Road
Man Blocks I-57 near Benton With His Car; Struck By Another Vehicle
Car Flips On Top On Noleman Street Underpass in Centralia; No One Hurt
Two Car Crash on Westside of Centralia Results in No Serious Injuries
Police Beat for Sunday, September 14th, 2014




This Site logo