Quantcast
WJBD - National Sports

WJBD Radio

Images


Advertisement
Advertisements

Robert Rogers/MLB Photos via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira has been battling a lower lat strain for the past few weeks that will keep him out of the lineup the next few days.

Teixeira got an MRI on Sunday that revealed a Grade 1 strain of the latissimus dorsi muscle on the left side of his back and said he experienced the pain in mid-June.

"Throwing, hitting -- anything with any type of rotation, it's been pretty painful," Teixeira said. "The spasms, unfortunately, have gone from my neck to my lower back, up and down the whole time. We just kind of put the fires out, and finally when the pain ratcheted up, it was one spot."

Teixeira has spent time on the 15-day disabled list with a hamstring injury already this season and said that it's frustrating being a 34-year-old player.

"It's tough. I thought the year off last year would kind of give me a fountain of youth, and it's just made me rusty," Teixeira said. "That's the way it feels. It's been something. Every game, it's something. I'm still happy with the way I've played when I'm healthy; I just need to get healthy again."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said on Monday that Teixeira's back problems were "not a DL situation at this time."


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Giants Place Matt Cain on DL

Jason O. Watson/Getty Images(PHILADELPHIA) -- The San Francisco Giants placed pitcher Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list due to elbow inflammation on Monday.

Cain was scheduled to start on Tuesday night against the Phillies, but will be replaced by Yusmeiro Petit.

"I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty optimistic that it shouldn't be too bad," Cain said of his return.

Cain's move to the DL was retroactive to July 11, the maximum 10-day period. 

Cain is 2-7 this year with a career high 4.18 ERA in 15 starts this year.

The right-hander is earning $20-million this season and is in the middle of an eight-year deal that he signed for $140-million.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


BananaStock/Getty Images(NEW YORK) --  Nate Craig, the No. 1 wide receiver and No. 6 player overall in the ESPN Junior 300, verbally committed to play football for the University of Auburn on Monday night.

Craig chose the Tigers over USC, Ohio State, and Alabama.

"I just thought Auburn was the best fit for me," Craig said. "I got to go up there this weekend and spend some time with coach [Dameyune] Craig and coach [Gus] Malzahn and that just sealed the deal for me."

"I was at Alabama for the whole week, but just building a relationship with the Auburn coaches and coach Craig was a big impact on my recruitment and did a great job. With coach Malzahn I got to spend some time with him and then I sat down with my mom and decided to make a decision," he continued.

The 6-foot-2, 202-pound Craig caught 37 passes for 502 yards and 12 touchdowns as a sophomore for Tampa Catholic High School this past season. 

Auburn now has three commits for the class of 2016.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


(NEW YORK) --  Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling met with former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer on Monday in Los Angeles to discuss the pending sale of the team, according to ESPN.

Sterling and Ballmer met for about 90 minutes at Sterling's house in Beverly Hills in their first face-to-face meeting since Ballmer negotiated the record-setting sale with Shelly Sterling on May 29.  Sources say it was a "friendly conversation."

A settlement has yet to be reached, but the sale of the team will reportedly be worth $2 billion. 

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said last week that he wasn't sure a new owner of the Clippers would be in place by the start of next season. 

The original agreement called for the sale to close by July 15, with a possible extension to Aug. 15, but Donald Sterling has vowed to fight his termination and the sale of the team.

Ballmer is ready to buy the Clippers, but an issue in that case is whether Shelly Sterling was authorized to sell the franchise to him without the authorization of her husband.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Elsa/Getty Images(BEREA, Ohio) --  Johnny Manziel's off-field activity has been a major story dating back to his days at Texas A&M, but Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine believes it will "be a non-story" once training camp kicks off this weekend.

"It's something that was a hot topic for the offseason just because of who he is," Pettine said. "It's a very unique thing. I don't think he can get a handle on the why. Is his behavior that much different from the average NFL player?"

Manziel was drafted by the Browns in the first round of May's NFL draft. When he wasn't working out in Ohio during the offseason, the former Heisman Trophy winner has been photographed in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and Mexico. 

Pettine went on to say that none of these photos reflected badly on the organization.

"I just think to over react to stuff that's occurred before he's even taken a snap in training camp, we weren't going to do that," he said. "And it's been such a small sample of him being here. While he's been here he's been great."

Manziel is expected to compete with Brian Hoyer for the starting quarterback job when the Browns open up their training camp on July 26.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio





NFL -- Latest Headlines





NASCAR




This Site logo