Sweeping lawsuit targets soccer concussionsSAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Soccer has now been caught up in the growing legal debate over head injuries.
A group of soccer parents and players filed a lawsuit seeking new safety rules aimed at preventing concussions in the sport.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in San Francisco federal court and seeks class action status on behalf of current and former soccer players who competed for teams governed by FIFA and several U.S.-based soccer organizations.
The NFL, NHL and NCAA have all faced similar lawsuits.
In a proposed legal settlement in another case, the NCAA last month said it will toughen return-to-play rules for players who receive head blows. It also agreed to create a $70 million fund to pay for thousands of current and former athletes to undergo testing to determine whether they suffered brain trauma.
See other NationalSports news:Scoreboard Roundup - 5/6/15
A's Activate OF Coco Crisp from 15-Day DL
Harper Hits 3 HRs in Nationals' 7-5 Win Over Marlins
Deflategate Report Says Patriots Probably Knew About Footballs
Vikings' Mike Wallace Believes He's the Fastest in the NFL