Quantcast
WJBD - Health & Fitness News

WJBD Radio

Images

 

Broward Sheriff's Office(PALM BEACH, Fla.) -- A Florida mother has agreed to circumcise her son after spending a week behind bars for refusing to cooperate with a court order to do so, ABC News has learned.

Heather Hironimus, 31, had been in custody since May 14 after going missing for several months with her 4-year-old son, allegedly to avoid circumcising him, according to court records.

Horonimus signed paperwork on Friday to allow the procedure, attorney Ira Marcus, who represents the boy's father, Dennis Nebus, told ABC News.

Doing so released Horonimus from the civil pick-up order, but not a criminal charge, so it is unclear whether she will be released from jail, he said.

Hironimus has been fighting a legal battle for more than a year with Nebus, over circumcising the child -- a disagreement that began even before the child was born, court documents show.

The couple briefly agreed on circumcision in 2012, when they split up, but Hironimus changed her mind, according to ABC News affiliate WPLG-TV.

Hironimus lost a legal battle with Nebus in May 2014 when a Palm Beach County judge ruled that the boy should be circumcised, according to the Orlando Sun Sentinel.

In March 2015, the judge ordered Hironimus to bring the boy in to schedule the circumcision procedure, according to the newspaper.

But Hironimus never showed up in court -- prompting a warrant for her arrest, the newspaper reported, also noting that she avoided being arrested because she was living in a domestic violence shelter.

Hironimus filed a federal suit against both Nebus and the judge last month, claiming that her son did not have a medical need to be circumcised, had expressed that he did not want to be circumcised and was afraid of the procedure.

At the boy's age, the Hironimus’s federal complaint says, there could be negative psychological effects resulting from circumcision.

She has been in Broward County Jail since last Thursday on Palm Beach County charges, including interference with custody and writ of bodily attachment, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office.

Hironimus's lawyer did not return multiple requests for comment from ABC News. ABC News was not able to immediately reach Nebus by phone.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


 adisa/iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) -- More than 50 people in nine states have been sickened with salmonella, and investigators suspect raw tuna in sushi is to blame, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC is reporting that 53 people have been sickened -- including a child younger than 1 year old -- with a strain of salmonella called paratyphi B variant L(+) tartrate(+).

No one has died, and 10 people have been hospitalized. Of the 36 people interviewed, 34 reported eating raw tuna in sushi, according to the CDC.

"The investigation has not conclusively identified the source of this outbreak, but most ill people interviewed reported eating sushi made with raw tuna in the week before becoming ill," the CDC announced. "The investigation is ongoing and has not identified a common brand or supplier of raw tuna linked to illnesses."

Symptoms usually take between 12 and 72 hours to appear and include cramps diarrhea and fever, according to the CDC. Children under 5, over 65 or with compromised immune systems are most at risk and should avoid raw seafood regardless of whether there's an ongoing outbreak, it said.

Cases have been reported in Arizona, California, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Fuse/Thinkstock(TALLAHASSEE, Fla.) -- The Florida State Attorney General's Office is investigating a dentist for Medicaid fraud after a group of parents alleged that he performed unnecessary and painful procedures on their children, ABC News has learned.

Dr. Howard Schneider, 78, has been practicing dentistry in Jacksonville since the 1960s. Authorities are investigating whether he collected millions of dollars in Medicaid payments for unwanted, unmerited procedures.

Brandi Motley says she took her 6-year-old daughter, Bri’el, in for a routine single-tooth extraction, but that the surgery took three hours.

“When I go back there, I notice she is hyperventilating, she’s bloody, she’s got marks all over her face, and I asked them what had happened, and she said, ‘Well, we stepped out of the room, came back in, and she was face first on the floor,’” Motley said.

Motley rushed her daughter to the hospital. During the trip, the girl removed the gauze in her mouth.

“She told me, ‘Mommy, they’re lying to you,’” Motley said. “And that’s when I noticed all of her teeth were gone." The dentist’s records show he extracted eight teeth.

Motley said she went to the police and also took to Facebook, posting on social media about her daughter’s experience.

Sherraine Christopher saw Motley’s note – and posted a video that she says shows her 3-year-old son Zion strapped onto a restraining board, crying.

“While we were there, I pretty much told him, ‘Why is he screaming? Why are you being so rough with him?’” Christopher said.

Christopher said Schneider originally told her Zion needed one metal cap, but during three sessions, he implanted 13. Christopher says she is going to sue and use the video as evidence.

Christopher said that she only allowed the procedures to continue because Schneider was one of the few pediatric dentists who accepted Medicaid.

Law enforcement sources also told ABC News that they are investigating allegations that he physically abused his young patients.

Lawyer John Phillips said his law office is currently representing the families of 50 children who were treated at Schneider’s practice.

The dentist allegedly took advantage of the Medicaid process by "doing every possible service on teeth to maximize profit because Medicaid pays per procedure per tooth,” Phillips said.

Phillips said as soon his office accepted this case, it was flooded with dozens of calls -- some of them from Schneider's former pediatric clients who had received treatment decades history.

In the past five years, Medicaid paid Dr. Howard Schneider’s practice nearly $4 million.

Schneider has never been charged with any crime and still has his medical license. The dentist and his lawyer did not respond to requests for comment.

In a previous interview with ABC News affiliate WJXX-TV, he stated that he never abused patients.

“I’m not worried about the allegations because the allegations are not true,” he said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Like most teenage girls, Mackenzie Langan loves to shop -- but those shopping trips used to often end in tears.

Mackenzie, a high school senior, is petite, standing at about 5 feet tall. But her bra size was a 32-H, so she said finding outfits that fit well was a constant challenge.

"It’s nice to have big boobs and a lot of people think that I’m so lucky,” she said. “But like I have back pain, I have shoulder pain, I have like swelling on my shoulders. I have trouble finding clothes. I have all these problems."

So Mackenzie made a drastic decision to go under the knife for breast reduction surgery on her 18th birthday.

“Someone told me that I was going against God, who gave me a gift, and I shouldn't be doing this, I’m too young to get this surgery, I shouldn’t be considering plastic surgery at my age,” she said. “And to them I would want to say, I don’t care. I don’t care about your opinion because at the end of the day, it’s my body.”

But Mackenzie is far from alone. Breast reduction surgeries have increased 157 percent in the United States from 1997 to 2013, according to statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Some attribute this to studies that have found girls today go through puberty earlier, pointing to the obesity epidemic or hormones in the modern diet. Other experts say this uptick is simply because the surgery has been perfected to prevent scarring and has become safer.

With younger and younger women seeking out the procedure, questions are being raised about whether teenagers like Mackenzie are old enough to understand the potential risks to having the surgery. Risks include scarring, loss of nipple sensitivity and losing the ability to breastfeed.

But for Mackenzie, the benefits outweighed the risks.

“The risks are scary,” she said. “[But] I’m so ready to take that chance, just take a little leap of faith because I really -- it’s going to be worth it in the end.”

She said her breast size had taken a physical and emotional toll on her since her early teens. She suffered constant back pain, chafing and bleeding caused by bra straps, and says that her breasts made it difficult to play the sports she loved.

“I think that the worst part about this for me socially and like that aspect is just walking down the street or walking down the hall at school,” Mackenzie said. “But like being known freshman year as ‘the girl with the giant boobs,’ having guys date me because I have boobs… And it gives me a lot of self-confidence issues because I feel like I can’t trust people.”

"I want to look like normal, I want to look like a normal girl,” she added.

Mackenzie and her mother traveled to Boston Children’s Hospital to meet with Dr. Brian Labow, one of the best known adolescent breast surgeons in the country.

“We see patients as young as 12 or 13 years of age, so middle schoolers, but that is rare,” Dr. Labow said. “The average age of the patients in our clinics is about 18 years of age.”

Labow is one of only a few surgeons who specialize in teen breast reductions, an area that comes with special sensitivities.

But, Labow says, “You can have a patient who is 15 or 16 be perhaps more emotionally mature than someone who is 18. It's not just the age that is going to dictate that.”

Part of the equation is also the physical toll -- the constant shoulder and back pain that plagued Mackenzie.

"It’s not just teen angst,” Labow said. “[These patients] clearly don’t have the same quality of life. It is a big deal.”

“These are amongst, if not, the happiest patients that I could take care of,” he added. “I would say 99.9 percent are ecstatic but it is a very high satisfaction rate for these patients.”

Luckily for Mackenzie, her insurance covered the procedure. Otherwise, it would have cost around $10,000 -- nearly three times as much as the cost of an average breast implant surgery.

After the four-hour surgery, Labow and his team said they removed about a pound of tissue from each breast, turning her 32-H breasts into a more comfortable 32-D. Labow said Mackenzie might have to worry about breastfeeding down the road, but for now, the surgery will dramatically increase her quality of life.

“That’s going to be a big difference for her,” Labow said. “And I think she will particularly notice it in her upper back, shoulders, neck area. So she’ll feel lighter right away.”

Two weeks after her surgery, the day her bandages came off, Mackenzie was out shopping for senior prom dresses for her new figure. Since her breast reduction, her dress size has gone from a size 8 to a size 0.

“I didn’t really feel any different until I went to the doctor today and I looked down and I was just like, ‘Oh my God, they’re gone,’” she said. “My back pain is gone, which is like the best thing ever. I can sit up straight without crying, because my back always used to hurt. And I just feel like a completely like new me, and it’s great."

Watch the full story on ABC News' Nightline Friday night at 12:35 a.m. ET.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


iStock/Thinkstock(MILWAUKEE) -- As far as the first responders could tell, the man was dead. He was cold and stiff, according to the medical examiner's report.

But then on the way to the morgue, he started moving.

The 46-year-old man's name has not been made public, but the report from the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office says that he wasn't alive in two days when his girlfriend called police to check on him because she was unable to reach him. The fire department arrived at his apartment shortly after noon on Tuesday with the building manager and found the man "cold to the touch and in rigor," according to the report obtained by ABC News.

"They did not attempt to resuscitate him," the report says.

Someone arrived from the medical examiner's office at 1 p.m. and noted that the man was found at the foot of the bed, lying on his right side. He was cold and pale, but there was no discoloration associated with pooled blood that's often found in people who have died.

The family was notified at 2:20 p.m. -- but by 2:54, people who'd arrived to take the man to the medical examiner's office noticed that he began moving his left arm and right leg. He started spontaneously breathing, but the man still didn't seem to have a pulse.

The fire department returned to take him to the emergency room.

The man's brother told ABC News' affiliate station WISN-TV that he was doing better.

The fire department's assistant chief, Gerard Washington, told ABC News he could not comment because of the ongoing internal investigation into the matter.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.





Welcome to Our New Website

Same WJBD but with more content than ever before. We will have more features up and running in no time.


Follow Us At

 
 

This Site logo